Connecting Readers with the 4 'F' s.

An insiders guide to the buzz involving Food, Fashion, Furnishings and Fun!

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Books Based in Baltimore: Denise Irwin, Author

Denise Irwin has been a life long resident of Baltimore and in a relatively short period of time has accomplished what many of us yearn to do in our lifetime.  Denise is the author of The Pink Chestnut, Johnny, and Alison.  To get to know Denise Irwin as an author, I have a couple of questions that I thought I would ask.


Julie: Tell us more about the three novels you just recently had published. 
Denise:  Julie, Johnny is the story of a young man suffering with schizophrenia. 
His alter ego is a bloodthirsty murder.  The story unfolds through his eyes as he struggles with his psychotic behavior. 
Johnny

The Pink Chestnut is a non-fiction memoir of my personal battle through cancer treatment.  After five failed attempts, I asked myself why I was writing my story.  My goal in the book unfolded when I realized how little I understood cancer and the impact it has on day- to -day life.  This book shares how we managed our daily life during treatment. 
Alison draws on some of the characters in Johnny.  Private Investigator Sam Marksman lives aboard his sailboat, Irish Cream, with his rescued Golden Retriever, Bailey.  The book weaves its way through Sam’s investigations and his lack of understanding women.


Alison by Denise Irwin: Book Cover
Alison
Julie: What inspired you to write them?
Denise: After a career in writing technical documents, when I was released from cancer treatment I decided it was time to follow my dream of sharing stories.  My favorite authors told great stories.

Julie: Where do you get most of your ideas?
Denise: I have to honestly say I’m not always sure where they come from.  Most begin as a small seed planted somewhere in my head and they bloom the same as a spring flower that pushes it’s was through the snow and dirt.

Julie: Who is your favorite character(s) in any of your works?
Denise: That’s a difficult question to answer.  As I write, I enjoy each character as he or she becomes a part of the story.  If I had to choose, I suspect I would say Sam Marksman and Leona Parker who have remained primary characters throughout “The Fells Point Private Investigator Series”.

Julie: How do you choose the names for your characters?
Denise: For me, that can be the hardest part of writing and keeping the names straight.  I do maintain a list of each character along with a small bio of any character that returns from a previous book.

Julie: What is your favorite theme or element in writing?
Denise: My books thus far have surrounded a private investigator assisting law enforcement in solving criminal cases. 

Julie: What scene in your writing has made you laugh the hardest or cry the most?
Denise: The funniest was in Alison when Sam Marksman stole her high-heeled shoes. I cried through most of Chapter-Three in The Pink Chestnut as I wrote it.  There were many suppressed memories that resurfaced.  I struggled with some of those memories.

Julie: What's your favorite character archetype of literature?
Denise: The Underdog turns into the Hero.

Julie: What is your favorite novel by a different author?
Denise: The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub

Julie: How do you manage writer’s block?
Denise: When I’m working on a book there are times I’ll walk away from it and return later to read what was written.  As a member of a writing forum, I draw on what the other members are working on.  I write small pieces to post on the site.  During a block, I take the opportunity to focus on my home and put it back in order.  I tend to neglect my home when I’m writing.

Julie: What do you think makes good writing?
Denise: Writing that draws the reader into the story and keeps the attention of the reader throughout the story leaving the reader wanting more.

Want to read Johnny, The Pink Chestnut and Alison? Check out  Barnes Noble or the links for Amazon.  
Denise Irwin currently lives in New England and welcomes emails at denisirwin@aol.com.














2 comments:

  1. Denise must have had numerous supppressed memories. The Pink Chestnut is a great read and I thought it touched on many of the unknowns that might face a cancer treatment patient.

    Thanks, Denise & Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous,
    Thanks for posting the very first comment ever published on Julie's Journeys! Your feedback about Denise Irwin's book, The Pink Chestnut, is appreciated! Thanks again for taking the time to visit Julie's Journeys.
    Julie of Julie's Journeys

    ReplyDelete