Connecting Readers with the 4 'F' s.

An insiders guide to the buzz involving Food, Fashion, Furnishings and Fun!

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Portland, Oregon: International Rose Test Garden

Besides being known for The NBA Trail Blazers and being "eco - friendly", the city of Portland has one of the most extensive rose gardens in the United States.


White Roses, Portland Oregon
After arriving on the "left coast" and checking into the historic Benson Hotel, a stop to the Visitor Center on 701 Southwest 6th Avenue was my next move.  Since I did not have a car, I had to find a way to navigate around the city.  The Visitor Center staff told me about the MAX light rail system.  What is so cool about this rail system, there is a place dedicated on the train car to store bicycles.  Being a "green city" bike riding is popular.  Can you spot the bike in the picture below?


Clever Otter Statues in Portland, Oregon
Visitor Center staff recommended that I should visit The International Rose Garden on 400 SW Kingston Avenue.  Embarking on the Max Light Rail I got off at the Oregon Zoo stop. There is a bus shuttle between the Zoo and the International Test Garden. I grew impatient and decided to walk.  If I could do it again, I would have waited for the shuttle.


Rose Garden, Portland, Oregon
Shortly, after arriving at the International Rose Test Garden, I discovered the garden was founded in 1917.  Some rose samples were brought over from Europe in hopes to escape from being destroyed in World War I.  


Fields of Roses, Portland Oregon


Rows of Roses, Portland Oregon
On a clear day you can also see the Cascade Mountains 
and Mount Hood from these gardens.


Arches in Rose Garden, Portland
I like picking up small souvenirs to help me remember the places that I visit. Make sure you stop by the International Rose Test Garden Shop to look at some great garden and home furnishings to take home with you.


International Rose Test Garden
400 SW Kingston Ave
Portland, Oregon 97205
http://www.rosegardenstore.org/thegardensoverview.cfm


Information on the historic Benson Hotel:
http://www.bensonhotel.com/


City of Portland, Oregon Portland Parks and Recreation
http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/finder/index.cfm?action=ViewPark&PropertyID=1113


Want to know more about Portland?
http://www.travelportland.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment