Connecting Readers with the 4 'F' s.

An insiders guide to the buzz involving Food, Fashion, Furnishings and Fun!

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Turkey, Istanbul: Hereke Silk Rug

Noticing that I need to focus on on Furnishing blog posts, I thought I would blog about the amazing Hereke silk rugs I discovered on my last trip to Istanbul, Turkey.

I met with Jim, Store Owner of CKM Carpets, and was delighted to see the variety of choices of oriental, tribal, and silk carpets.  After being offered apple tea, Jim and his store staff unfolded dozens of handmade rugs.  I could not resist the silk carpets.  I had to have the Hereke.


Hereke Silk Rug, Istanbul, Turkey

Close up view of the Hereke Rug, Istanbul, Turkey
The Hereke is made of pure silk.  From what I read, the weaver usually spends more than 11 months to expertly weave this type of rug.  Noteworthy of Hereke silk rug construction, the reverse side is just as beautiful as the side that is displayed.


You might be wondering, "How did Hereke rugs get their name?"  Upon further research I discovered that there was town in Turkey called Hereke.  Two hundred years ago Sultans established the town to be the production center for silk rugs.  


Hereke carpets are double knotted using Turkish knots.  This helps make the carpet be more durable.  Jim, Owner of CKM, Fine Arts and Carpets, showed me how silk carpets provide two different effects.  The 45 degree angle in Hereke silk rugs causes them to have a distinctive appearance when viewed from opposing ends.

I found Jim of CKM very helpful and his carpets were fairly priced.  Besides carpets he sells Turkish kilm rugs, lamps and ceramic tiles. 

Want more information on CKM Fine Arts and Carpets: CKM Carpets

CKM Fine Arts and Carpets
Alemdar Cad No: 6 C/D Sultanahmet 33410
Istanbul, Turkey
Tel: 00 90 212 522 51 63 



3 comments:

  1. My son is traveling to Istanbul in Dec. I would like him to buy me a 5 x 7 silk rug. Do you know approximately how much this establishment would charge? Thanks for your help! Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat,
    I purchased my rug from CKM a couple of years ago.

    My Hereke is silk and is 27inches (W) by 44 inches (L) without fringe. I think I got my money's worth in regards to how it makes me feel when I look at it every day.

    What I would suggest that you do is visit a recommended local rug store that sells Turkish rugs and ask them what is and acceptable price range for purchasing the carpet in Turkey. The cost of silk rugs tends to run higher than the wool rugs. Also the carpet size and number of knots per square inch also drives the price too.

    Let me know if this information is helpful. If you have further questions please feel free to email me at joiedevivre3022@gmail.com!

    Julie, Founder of Julies Journeys

    ReplyDelete