Connecting Readers with the 4 'F' s.

An insiders guide to the buzz involving Food, Fashion, Furnishings and Fun!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Consignment Parakeet Bird Lamps: Customized Wal-Mart Lampshades

Parakeet Bird Lamp Base

By great fortune I found a pair of ceramic bird lamps at a consignment shop.  I grew up with this type of lamp and was shocked to find the exact type in a smaller version.  What I like best about this lamp was that the ivory base under the bird lights up similar to a night-light.

When I found the bird lamps, the pair did not have harps and the original silk lampshades were very deteriorated.  I was in search of a lampshade that did not require a harp.  I found two at Wal-Mart for a approximately $20.  Next step was finding a way to decorate it.  With the help of my Mom we found some pretty blue and gold metallic ribbon for trim at a Joanne’s fabric store in Florida.  I also bought some sheer blue ribbon on sale at Michaels in Baltimore. 

Taking my time I wrapped the lampshades with the see through ribbon and created a pleated effect by overlapping the ribbon.  Then I used fabric glue to attach the accent ribbon.  Viola! Customized lamps to adorn an attic bedroom!

Parakeet Bird Lamp:
Customized Wal-Mart Lampshade
Parakeet Bird Lamp Lit Up!

No comments:

Post a Comment